We like to see what’s happening in our industry. Here we pull together some new ideas, things people are talking about and what we’d like to see more of in the future.
- What the Hail: This article seemed appropriate since our recent storms brought hail with them. This link has photos showing hail damage on a slate roof.
- State of the Industry Report: “Roofing Contractor asked a variety of industry insiders and other professionals to share their insights on key trends they’ve identified in the commercial and residential roofing markets and offer advice on the key problems facing contractors in the year ahead.”
- A concern with fiberboard insulation: “NRCA has received several reports of corrosion of metal components with low-slope membrane roof systems containing specific fiberboard insulation products. Because this issue presents possible roof system performance and worker safety issues, you should be aware of circumstances that may pose safety concerns and ways to identify whether fiberboard insulation is problematic.”
Architectural Sheet Metal
- Stainless Skyline: “The Harbor Drive bridge is the second major pedestrian bridge in the United States to use a significant amount of stainless steel in its structure. The main cable uses 2205 duplex stainless steel from Outokumpu Inc., Itasca, Ill., to support the bridge deck with tension cables through the pipe and the heavy plate railing posts.”
- Metal Roofing Magazines Top 10 Products of 2011: “Right here, we present, the Top 10 Products of 2011, as chosen by you, through your requests for info.”
- Contractors Survey: “For the 31st year, Metal Construction News has turned to its readers for valuable information about the state of the industry. Our contractor readers worked through a year that was substantially similar to 2010, but hold higher hopes for 2012.”
- Energy-Saving Roofs:“From all perspectives, metal roofing is looking up with its cool, energy-saving properties and long, cost-effective service life. Whether selected by way of building owner and architect preference,green building rating systems, or code requirements, metal roofing is providing more options than ever with its superior performance, style and color.
Custom Sheet Metal Fabricating
- Big Hubless: “Plumber Bryan Stalcup fabricated the Big Hubless chopper completely from scratch using scrap yard finds. The bike, which won the 2010 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Garage Shop Fabricator Contest…”
- Upping the Ante: “The Air Conditioning Contractors of America has given its 2012 conference and Indoor Air Expo the slogan “Raise the stakes.” Show organizers are hoping to give attendees something to talk about, as well as knowledge that will help them propel their companies above the fray.”
- Sheet Metal welders urged to train: “To operate a vehicle legally on a U.S. roadway, a driver’s license is required, and it has to be earned with time logged on the road, a written test and a live skills test. In the sheet metal industry, welding is under similar scrutiny, with skills tests and certifications necessary for a welder to be qualified to work most jobs.”
Green Roofing & Waterproofing
- ECO-Structure’s Top 10 Articles in 2011: This is an overview of the top most read stories from the last year.
- USGBC Launches Green Building Products Database: “The USGBC, in conjunction with The Home Depot, has launched an online products database at www.leed.homedepot.com that features products geared toward residential green building and that may contribute to points and prerequisites for the LEED for Homes program.”
- The Hot 50 Products:“In this year’s Hot 50 list, you’ll find a heavy mix of trusted brands with a scattering of new players. These products raise the bar a little higher for green products and work together in harmony.”
Nashville Building News
- Hillsboro Village apartment project to kick off next year: “Nashville-based H.G. Hill Realty Co. announced today that it hopes to begin redevelopment of a high-profile, heavily trafficked section of Hillsboro Village in the first quarter of next year.”
- Medical mart on schedule to open in 2014: “Despite rumors, plans to open a new medical trade mart in downtown Nashville in 2014 are still on track, according to officials. The first of its kind medical mart will offer a one-stop shopping Mecca for the global healthcare industry.“ /li>
- Metro offers HCA $11M tax break for new data center: “Metro Nashville will offer HCA Inc. a seven-year tax break for expanding in Nashville. HCA that includes a new data center in Antioch. The investment is to create more than 150 jobs over the next five years.”